We are pleased to announce that the Diabetes Walks Programme will be running from Monday 13th of September - Monday 29th November. Please see below for more information about this programme.
The Surrey Heath Diabetes Walks for Health is a pilot programme coordinated by Surrey Heath Borough Council in partnership with Surrey Heath CCG, Camberley Health Centre and Virgin Care. Having successfully received funding from the Tesco Bags for Help Fund, the project aims to support local people living with Type 2 diabetes to improve their condition.
The programme will consist of weekly walks on Mondays, starting at Frimley Lodge Park. The walks will be tailored to the ability of the group and will be led by our experienced walk leaders who will create a welcoming and relaxed environment. In addition to these walks the programme incorporates education sessions led by specialists which will provide walkers with information on how to manage their diabetes on topics such as diet, foot care, eye care, exercise, alcohol and pharmacy. The programme is completely free and we are looking for local people who are referred by their GP to join us. If you are wondering if you are the right person for this programme we have listed some of the benefits that you can expect to gain:
- Feeling better in yourself with improved confidence
- Improving your physical fitness and the distance you can walk
- Make new friends who are also living with diabetes
- Improved understanding of your condition
- More confident to manage or improve your health
- Improved motivation to continue regular exercise
- Increased knowledge of local activities where you can continue to exercise and meet new people
- Feel supported by a group of likeminded local people