The Environmental Health Service has a Health and Safety team that promotes and maintains standards of health, safety and welfare at all work places within the Borough for which the Council has responsibility.
Inspectors from the Environmental Health Team at Surrey Heath Borough Council are responsible for the enforcement of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 (and relevant statutory provisions) within the Borough of Surrey Heath in the following:
- Warehouses and;
- Leisure premises.
We help local businesses maintain a safe business both by carrying out interventions and inspections and by offering practical advice and guidance to comply with the law.
Officers are also authorised to undertake inspections, projects, complaints and investigations.
The Health & Safety at Work etc. Act (1974)
The Six Pack
- 1. Management of Health and Safety at Work (Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999)
- 2. Safe Use of Work Equipment (Provision and use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998)
- 3. Manual Handling (Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 (as amended)
- 4. Workplace Health, Safety and Welfare (Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992)
- 5. Personal Protective Equipment (Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations (1992) (as amended)
- 6. Display Screen Equipment (Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 as amended by the Health and Safety (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2002
Health and Safety law is enforced by officers from Surrey Heath Borough Council or the Health and Safety Executive depending on the premises. These officers also advise businesses to help them comply with the law.
Officers' powers include:
- Entry into your premises
- The right to talk to your employees
- Carrying out investigations
- Taking photographs, recordings and making copies of documents
- Taking items away for inspection, examination or as evidence.
- HSC14 - What to expect when a Health & Safety Inspector Calls: A brief guide for businesses, employees and their representatives