If you are disabled and require urgent adaptations to your home to enable you to continue living there safely you may qualify for an adaptation grant to assist with the cost of the work. These grants are used to supplement the Disabled Facilities Grant scheme and are intended for urgent work e.g. early hospital discharges. The type of work includes:
- Fitting grab rails.
- Fitting ramps to the front and rear doors for wheel chair access.
- Widening doors.
- Forming dropped kerbs
- Fitting Stairlifts
- Disabled scooter storage.
To qualify for grant assistance an applicant must:
- Be aged 18 years or over on the date of application.
- Be an owner-occupier or a private tenant, or an occupant who occupies the dwelling under a right of exclusive occupation grant for his life or for a period of more than three years.
- Be disabled, elderly or infirm
Be on an income-related benefit or on low income:
- Guarantee Pension Credit
- Income Support
- Housing Benefit
- Working Families Tax Credit
- Council Tax Benefit
- Disabled Persons Tax Credit
Where the applicant is on low income a test of financial resources (same as Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) test) is carried out to determine any contribution the applicant needs to make towards the cost of work.
Have a power to carry out the work
Not been awarded a minor works grant by this Council within the last three years prior to application
The maximum grant that can be paid is £2000.
We regret that a grant cannot be paid for work, which has started or completed prior to grant approval.