Why is Surrey Heath Borough Council Conducting a Review?
We are conducting a review because we have received a valid petition requesting a Community Governance Review for Windlesham village. The petitioners have requested the action set out in Option 1 below.
What can the Community Governance Review change?
A Community Governance Review can make a number of changes to parish governance when there is clear evidence to do so:
It can make changes to parish areas – including:
- changes to boundaries between parishes
- mergers of two or more parishes or even
- creating a new parish out of part of one or more existing parishes
It can make changes to electoral arrangements within parish areas – including:
- changes to the number of parish councillors
- introducing or changing parish warding arrangements
It can accommodate changing the name of a parish
It can accommodate the grouping together of parishes under a common parish council.
We will be writing to all households in Windlesham Parish area to seek their views on the following options being put forward as part of this review:
- Option 1 - To create a new parish in Windlesham and create a new Parish Council covering the area.
- Option 2 - To re-instate an equal number of councillors representing each village within the Parish.
- Option 3 - To create a new parish ward for North Windlesham and amend the councillor representation in the parish wards to best reflect electoral equality in the parish.
- Option 4 - To make no change to the current arrangements.
We will also consult Surrey County Council and elected representatives for the affected area.
The Terms of Reference for the Community Governance Review, which provide further details on each of the options proposed, can be reviewed here.
If you wish to submit a representation on the Community Governance Review, please write to the address below or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Democratic Services, Surrey Heath Borough Council
Surrey Heath House
Timetable for the Community Governance Review
|Stage||Action||Timeline||Outline of Action|
|1||Report to full Council||24 July 2019||
Council determines terms of reference of community governance review
|2||Publish terms of reference||5 August 2019||
Council publishes terms of reference and notifies stakeholders of the commencement of the review.
|3||Initial consultation period on the options set out in the terms of reference||5 August 2019 to 28 October 2019 (12 weeks)||
Consultation letters to:
Consider responses to initial consultation
|29 October 2019 31 December 2019||
Consider submissions and prepare draft recommendations for report to Council
|5||Report to full Council||26 February 2020||Council to receive details of outcome of initial consultation and consider draft recommendations|
|9 March 2020||Council publishes draft recommendations for further consultation.|
|7||Further consultation period - draft recommendations||
9 March 2020 to
31 May 2020 (12 weeks)
Further consultation letters to:
Consider responses to further consultation
|1 June 2020 to 6 July 2020||
Consider further submissions and prepare final recommendations for report to Council
|9||Report to full Council||July 2020||Council to receive details of outcome of further consultation and consider final recommendations|
|10||Publish final recommendations||31 July 2020||Publish final recommendations|