Animal Boarding Establishments

What do I need to know?

To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from Surrey Heath Borough Council.

  • The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.
  • An inspection of the premises will be carried out prior to the licence being issued. Further inspections may be carried out during the year to ensure compliance with the licence.
  • Please note:

    Planning permission may be required. You are advised to contact Surrey Heath Borough Council, Planning Services, Tel: 01276 707100.

Information/evidence required

List of documents required with the application (e.g. insurance certificates).

You will also need to provide evidence:

  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

What happens next?

How long does it take to make a decision and issue the licence?
There is no statutory period for determining applications.

If I don't hear from you for 4 weeks, can I assume it's been granted ("tacit consent")?
It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

If I'm turned down, how do I appeal?

  • Firstly, please contact us to see if we can resolve the issue.
  • An applicant whose application is refused can appeal to the local magistrates' court.
  • A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

How long does the licence last, and what's the renewal procedure?
Licences need to be renewed annually.