The Surrey Heath Sports Awards celebrated the best in local sporting achievement with a special ceremony at Camberley Theatre on Monday.
Organised by Surrey Heath Borough Council, the awards honour people from across the borough who have excelled in their sport, exceeded personal targets or made a meaningful impact on the local community.
The awards were attended by around 350 members of the local sporting community and the Mayor of Surrey Heath Cllr Valerie White.
The evening is one of the most anticipated events in the borough calendar as it is a chance to celebrate the achievements of local athletes, clubs, coaches and volunteers.
Nominations from the public received over the summer were whittled down to a shortlist of just three finalists per category before winners were selected by the Surrey Heath Sports Council.
· Coach of the Year – Sam Voight, Camberley RFC
· Club of the Year – Bagshot Tennis Club
· Disability Sports Award – Adrian Gale, Valley End Cricket Club Rascals
· Outstanding Service – John Wickens, Bagshot FC
· Sports Personality – Harry Dugmore, Camberley RFC
· Sports Team of the Year – Camberley & Farnborough Hockey Club Ladies 1st XI
· Young Sports Personality – Smrithi Shirol, Swifts Junior Badminton Club
· Young Sports Team – Chobham Cricket Club U11
· Young Volunteer – Ollie Wickes, Chobham RFC
Specsavers Surrey Youth Games Award Winners:
· Performance of the Games – Alice Lockhart (swimming)
· Coach of the Games – Sandra Parnell (netball)
· Young Ambassador of the Year – Morgan Markson
· Most Supportive School – Holy Trinity C of E Primary School
Portfolio Holder for Business Cllr Craig Fennell, said, "Huge congratulations to all the award winners and everyone who was nominated this year. Sport in Surrey Heath is in a good place with excellent performances and participation levels from Surrey Heath clubs at all levels. The awards are a great opportunity for us to celebrate this and encourage future success.”
The winners of the Sports Awards will automatically be entered into the county-wide Surrey Sports Awards, which are held in December.
For more photos of the event, please visit www.surreyheath.gov.uk/sportsawards
Special thanks to our sponsors Specsavers, Places for People, Surrey Playing Fields, Active Surrey, Complete Coaching, 96.4 Eagle Radio, Basepoint Camberley, Legacy Clothing and Camberley Theatre.
Photo credit: www.panonsphotography.com